06 April 2011

Alien Smoothies

We have a new favorite way to eat veggies where we pretend not to eat veggies. Sounds great, right?
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention it doesn't always look great. This night's variety included lots of strawberries and spinach. Red + Green = not a particularly appetizing color for your food. Tasted great though!

 I'm sure you're just dying to make something that color to eat, yeah right, but I don't have an exact recipe for these. So all of you "must follow a recipe exactly" types (ahem...Mom) are kind of out of luck. I'll tell you what we've used in the past and you can try out your own combination!

Alien Smoothie (Hubs said he felt like an alien when I first made this one. It was pretty bright green.)
  • Spinach
  • Crushed pineapple (from a can)
  • Pineapple juice from the crushed pineapple can
  • Frozen banana
  • Yogurt - vanilla or lemon, I can't remember
  • Mango sorbet (yum!!)
  • Vanilla protein powder <--that part is definitely for Hubs
  • Diet green tea - what? we were out of juice and needed something to help everything blend!

Less Pretty Variety
  • Spinach
  • Vanilla yogurt
  • Strawberry banana juice from TJs
  • Frozen mixed fruit - not sure how cost effective this is, but it sure was convenient! A bunch of strawberries happened to be at the top when I dumped some in mine but it also had grapes, peaches and mangoes
  • Soy milk
  • Vanilla protein powder...or not, we've made them both ways

When I make them I usually go pretty easy on the juice/milk/tea. The more you put in, the runnier your smoothie will be. Really it's just helpful to get everything blending and not so stuck together. We get at least a serving of spinach in each smoothie, woohoo! This makes up a big part of our meal because of all the sugar, so keep that in mind if you're counting calories. If you're not buying frozen fruit, make sure something in the smoothie is frozen unless you like really runny smoothies. I guess my only other advice is to experiment and use what you have. These are a great way to use up fruit that's about to go bad.

Maybe I'll remember to snap a less disgusting more appetizing picture the next time we make them!
post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!