19 August 2010

"Summer" in Central California

Last night we were looking at some pictures and Hubs asked why I never dress like that here (I was wearing a tank top in the picture). Well because its cold here, which brings me to my rant...I mean topic...of the day. :)

I've only lived in California for 5 months, but I've quickly learned that summer on the central coast does not have the same definition here as it does in 48 other states (Alaska appears to have a similar definition). 

A few observations about summer here:
  • You need a jacket when you go outside 90% of the time
  • The sun may not make an appearance for weeks at a time
  • I don't think they actually update the forecast daily, they just put "Foggy in the morning, partly cloudy high of 62 in the afternoon" every day in the 7 day forecast
  • Everyone else in the world thinks you have awesome weather because they're tired of the sun and 90+ degree temperatures
Before you all think I'm completely ungrateful, I do appreciate not sweating the minute I walk outside. I visited TX in May and it was already 'sweat as soon as you walk outside' hot there. And yesterday the sun came out! It was wonderful and I was SO thankful for a sunny day. You have no idea until you go without the sun for 2 straight weeks in the summer. So if you're ever sweltering and wondering where in the world can I go to escape this heat? Think the central coast of California. Here's to hoping for another sunny day...maybe we'll even get over 65 degrees (ha, yeah right!). :)

PS - just so you know I'm not exaggerating, check out the forecast for the next 3 days from weather.com:
Aug 19  Today
Partly cloudy skies. Areas of fog. High 64F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Aug 19  Tonight
A few clouds. Low 53F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Aug 20  Tomorrow
A few clouds early, otherwise mostly sunny. High 62F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Aug 20  Tomorrow night
Partly cloudy in the evening with more clouds for later at night. Low 53F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Aug 21  Saturday
Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s.

Sorry if that came across super grumpy. I really do like it here, I'm just cold a lot...and right now :) Hope everyone has a pleasantly warm day!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!